Spouse / Common Law / Conjugal
WHAT IT LETS YOU DO
If your sponsor is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you can be sponsored as:
- common-law or conjugal partner, or
- dependent children
to immigrate to Canada.
Your sponsor must provide proof that they can:
- meet basic needs—such as food, clothing and shelter—for your family and themselves,
- support you financially and
- make sure that the sponsor or relative does not need to ask for financial help from the government
To be a sponsor one must:
- agree in writing to give financial support to their relative, if they need it
- for a spouse or partner, this lasts for three years from the date they become a permanent resident, and
- for a dependent child, this lasts for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.
Take a 30 Second simple assessment to know if you qualify.